Wednesday 26 December 2018

Dubai again... but this time via Kyiv!


I have been to Dubai very many times in connection with my work in the UK. I had a client there, a large shopping mall with apartments above. That ended in 2000 when they rennovated the place and added a large extension. My 20 year old system was replaced too, it served them well. And at about that time, I retired anyway so I was not sad.
But this time, faced with a long cold December in Kyiv, I decided to go back yet another time. It was not expensive and the flight was 6 hours.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I arrived back from Nizhyn on Sunday evening and my flight to Dubai was at 7pm on Tuesday so I spent 2 pleasant nights in the Ibis Hotel by the railway station and, after a paid-for late checkout, took the Skybus to the airport. I arrived in Dubai at around 2.30am local time, took a taxi to the Ibis at World Trade Centre and crashed out. When I was installing my building management system in the shopping mall around 1980, we all stayed in "digs" very close to the World Trade Centre which is a white tower out towards Jebel Ali. Now it is dwarfed by all the new buildings along the (6 carriageway) road to Dubai Marina and onward to Abu Dhabi. One of the two Metro lines also follows the same route. And I chose World Trade Centre because it is mid-way between Deira which is where I stayed previously and the new shopping malls along the highway. I spent a lot of time travelling on the Metro, it was perfect.

He estado en Dubai muchas veces en relación con mi trabajo en el Reino Unido. Tenía un cliente allí, un gran centro comercial con apartamentos arriba. Eso terminó en el 2000 cuando renovaron el lugar y agregaron una gran extensión. Mi sistema de 20 años también fue reemplazado, les sirvió bien. Y en ese momento, me retiré de todos modos, así que no estaba triste.
Pero esta vez, ante un largo y frío mes de diciembre en Kiev, decidí volver otra vez. No fue caro y el vuelo fue de 6 horas.
Como mencioné en mi publicación anterior, regresé de Nizhyn el domingo por la noche y mi vuelo a Dubai fue a las 7 pm del martes, así que pasé 2 noches agradables en el Hotel Ibis junto a la estación de trenes y, después de un pago para salir tarde, Tomé el Skybus al aeropuerto. Llegué a Dubai a las 2.30 am hora local, tomé un taxi hasta el Ibis en el World Trade Center y fui directamente a cama! Cuando instalé mi sistema de administración de edificios en el centro comercial alrededor de 1980, todos los ingenieros quedamos en cuartos muy cerca del World Trade Center, que es una torre blanca hacia Jebel Ali. Ahora está empequeñecido por todos los edificios nuevos a lo largo de la carretera (6 de la calzada) a Dubai Marina y luego a Abu Dhabi. Una de las dos líneas de Metro también sigue la misma ruta. Y elegí el World Trade Center porque está a medio camino entre Deira, que es donde me alojé anteriormente y los nuevos centros comerciales a lo largo de la carretera. Pasé mucho tiempo viajando en el metro, estaba perfecto!



World Trade Centre district
I woke at 9am, had some breakfast and headed out to explore. I took the Metro to Deira and bought a SIM for my phone. I visited a shopping mall, bought some food for the fridge in Carrefour (very big in Dubai!) I can't remember what I did for the rest of the day but it was great to be back in my old haunts. Deira hasn't changed very much, all the big changes are along the highway and Metro line.
I discovered the hotel pool which was actually shared with the Novotel just down the road. I often took a walk down there. On one occasion, there were three girls speaking either Russian or Ukrainian but one was wearing a tanga which even made me blush. Effectively nothing at the rear, maybe there was a kind of string but I couldn't see it. I looked very hard (actually this is a joke, I found it ugly and decided to move). Maybe someone should have pointed out that Dubai etiquette extends to hotel pools also. I was embarrassed on account of the location, at the free beach where I go during the summer, she would have been overdressed and I would have had no problem with it!
The hotel bar had a Cuban theme and the three girls working there were Cuban so I could chat with them in Spanish. The price for a large beer during happy hour was about €5 but was double that after 8pm. There were dance classes which I loved, particularly Salsa on my last night (in fact I went directly to the airport afterwards). This video is of the teacher dancing Kizomba with a friend of his, she was a singer. Kizomba originates in Angola but is popular in Latin America.

Me desperté a las 9 am, desayuné y salí para explorar. Tomé el metro hasta Deira y compré una tarjeta SIM para mi teléfono. Visité un centro comercial, compré algo de comida para la nevera en Carrefour (¡muy grande en Dubai!) No puedo recordar lo que hice durante el resto del día, pero fue genial volver a mis viejos lugares. Deira no ha cambiado mucho, todos los grandes cambios se producen a lo largo de la carretera y la línea de metro.

Descubrí la piscina del hotel, que en realidad fue compartida con el Novotel justo al final de la calle. A menudo salía a caminar por allí. En una ocasión, tres chicas hablaban ruso o ucraniano, pero una llevaba un tanga que incluso me hizo sonrojar. Efectivamente nada en la parte trasera, tal vez había una especie de cuerda pero no podía verla. Miré muy duro (en realidad esto es una broma, lo encontré feo y decidí moverme). Tal vez alguien debería haber señalado que la etiqueta de Dubai también se extiende a las piscinas de los hoteles. Me sentí avergonzada por la ubicación, en la playa "libre" a la que voy durante el verano, ella habría llevado puesto demasiado (inglés: over-dressed) y yo no habría tenido ningún problema con eso!

El bar del hotel tenía una temática cubana y las tres chicas que trabajaban allí eran cubanas, por lo que pude conversar con ellas en español. El precio de una cerveza grande durante la hora feliz fue de aproximadamente 5 €, pero fue el doble después de las 8 pm. Hubo clases de baile que me encantaron, especialmente Salsa en mi última noche (de hecho, fui directamente al aeropuerto después). Este video es de la maestra bailando Kizomba con un amigo suyo, ella era una cantante. Kizomba se origina en Angola, pero es popular en América Latina.



Generally Dubai is very expensive if one wants to maintain the alcohol habit because that means eating and drinking in the hotels, but go dry and it is not expensive. There are lots of cheap places to eat in Deira.

En general, Dubai es muy costoso si uno quiere mantener el hábito del alcohol porque eso significa comer y beber en los hoteles, pero secarse (no tomar alcohol!) y Dubai no es caro. Hay muchos lugares baratos para comer en Deira.

Kite Beach.
If you look closely, right in the centre is the gleaming spire of Burj Khalifa

my last night in Dubai

I visited Jumeira Beach near Dubai Marina and on my last day, took the hotel shuttle to Kite Beach. I spent lots of time in shopping malls so I didn't return with a sun tan. In any case, although the temperature was around 28c, the sun is not very strong at this time of year.

Visité la playa de Jumeira cerca del puerto deportivo de Dubai y, en mi último día, tomé el servicio de traslado del hotel a Kite Beach. Pasé mucho tiempo en centros comerciales, así que no regresé con un bronceado. En cualquier caso, aunque la temperatura era de alrededor de 28 ° C, el sol no es muy fuerte en esta época del año.
Jumeira Beach
 I went up Burj Khalifa!

Some people were putting their phones up against the open slot which you can see in the photo to get a clear picture. I asked one of the attendants if anyone had ever dropped their phone through the slot. It is a very long way down, death for the phone and also for anyone under it! I definitely do not have a head for heights, I was glad to get down. The glass is very thick but it does nothing to prevent that very odd feeling of wanting to jump out into space!

Algunas personas colocaron sus teléfonos en la ranura abierta que se puede ver en la foto para obtener una imagen clara. Le pregunté a uno de los asistentes si alguien había dejado caer su teléfono a través de la ranura. Es un largo camino hacia abajo, ¡la muerte para el teléfono y también para cualquier persona debajo de él! Definitivamente no tengo cabeza para las alturas, me alegré de bajar. El vidrio es muy grueso, pero no hace nada para evitar esa extraña sensación de querer saltar al espacio!





I visited the Gold Souk and bought presents for my friends. Most of the gold there is 18ct and I made a note of the price and weight of the pendants I bought. In Ukraine, only 14ct is sold as far as I could see, and it was more expensive per gram than 18ct in Dubai! 

Visité el Gold Souk y compré regalos para mis amigos. La mayor parte del oro allí es 18ct y tomé nota del precio y el peso de los colgantes que compré. En Ucrania, solo se vende 14ct por lo que pude ver, ¡y era más caro por gramo que 18ct en Dubai!

 
The Dubai Gold Souk

Starbucks? Nooo!


My final night in Dubai was Tuesday 18th with a Salsa class in the bar. I then went to the airport by Metro at about 10.30pm and used my Privilege card to check into the executive lounge. I had some food and wine and waited for my flight back to Kyiv at 3am. I felt very tired of course but after one day back in Ukraine, I was fine. I will tell you about Ukraine Part 2 in my next post!

Mi última noche en Dubai fue el martes 18 con una clase de salsa en el bar. Luego fui al aeropuerto en Metro alrededor de las 10.30 pm y usé mi tarjeta Privilege para ingresar al salón ejecutivo. Tomé algo de comida y vino y esperé mi vuelo de regreso a Kiev a las 3 am. Por supuesto, me sentí muy cansado, pero después de un día en Ucrania, estaba bien. ¡Te contaré sobre Ucrania Parte 2 en mi próximo post!

No comments:

Post a Comment