Sunday 24 September 2017

A bike ride

I was busy writing posts on the website of The Times in London this morning, so I ended up going out on my bike quite late, at 12. I just cycled up to Madremanya which is 10km uphill and, as I passed St Martí Vell, I saw these people painting on a wall so I decided to stop on my way back.



 I chatted with one young guy and we quickly switched to English - I was happy to give him the opportunity to speak in English (and in fact I gave him the link to my Meetup group where we speak in English each week).

They were simply people from the village, not affiliated to any one political party. His father who is a farmer is one of the group on the left. We chatted a lot. I quickly explained that I was against the referendum and independence but I was interested in what they were doing. I respect them for what they think and I told them about this blog and how I want to give a balanced report on what is happening here. I said that, although we have widely differing opinions, we can still get on well. They are virtually neighbours of mine, St Martí Vell being very close to Celrà and his father's farm is right next to where I go on my bike sometimes.

I said that I hoped they had the permission of the finca to paint on their wall! They could see that I was joking!!

I told them my name and told them to look me up, there aren't many Steves in Celrà! I wish I had said that they were welcome to write on this blog. But maybe they will write to me.

I listened to what they had to say. About how they feel that they have a legitimate right to vote, how they would remain in the EU after independence. Their disgust for Spain is evident. The father called it "a king" and we are "the subjects". They introduced me to the mayor but they tried to use the word in English. They said "Sherrif"! I asked him where his badge was! I quickly established for them what the correct word was (it is alcalde in Spanish). They don't see the referendum as illegal because it was passed by the Parliament in Barcelona. I bravely said that the laws of Spain and Catalunya were not on an equal par, Spain has precedence. (It is not like a game of football between Barça and Madrid. Maybe that's how it should be settled..... joking!) But I quickly moved on so there was no violence. Anyway, there were many more of them than me. I joked about running across the road and jumping on my bike to escape their wrath!

 But, in contrast to the scenes in Barcelona, this was a simple meeting of neighbours in the warm September sun in Catalunya.

We talked about what defines Catalan. The young guy said that he still felt Spanish, that he wanted to retain his Spanish passport but I can't see how that is possible in the event of independence.

I told him that, some years ago, an MP in the Parliament said that everyone living here is a Catalan. He asked me how I felt. I said that I felt "Catalan" because I feel very much integrated in the life here. And I love living here, one of the reasons being that it is not like the rest of Spain, all olé, olé, Flamenco, bull-fighting which I detest.

At 1.30 they headed off for lunch and I did the same. I put a sausage in the oven and it will be cooked by now, so I will publish this now!

Yesterday I took photos of a selection of posters in Celrà where I live. Some have been torn down, I hope they don´t think it is me that would do such a thing!

Here is a selection. Many make a point about the word, "freedom" which obviously refers to freedom from Spain. But where to?

I rather like the design of this one, if not the message!








No comments:

Post a Comment