Friday 23 February 2018

The Indigenous People of Colombia

When I first saw an Indian woman in Pereira, I was struck by the beauty of her clothes but most Indians I see in the street are begging and live in very poor conditions. But the Indians in the streets are not typical of the indigenous people of Colombia. These folk have been displaced from their villages for a number of reasons, including violence. The Indians suffered greatly during the war with Farc. But the majority live under protection of the Government in the land which they have occupied for hundreds of years and which they consider sacred. And, during my time here, I have learned much about them. It was part of the reason for my going to Santa Marta because many live in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, The Wayiu, for example. The Museo Nacional de Colombia has a special exhibition telling the story of the Indians in Colombia. There isn't space to write much here but maybe when I get back to Spain next week, I will write an essay and put it here. I had to ask, "What is La Minga?" because it does not appear in my dictionary. It means a meeting, a gathering together of people to form a common theme.





These are village where people have been displaced.



Then I revisited the art galleries in the museum. I liked this artist! I want to copy the style!







There are zones with the history of Colombia, people, culture, industry and politics. I am learning a lot about Colombia!



 Then I got rather depressed because I didn't know what to do with the rest of the day, it was cold and cloudy. I bought a sandwich from Subway, a small bottle of wine from the hotel restaurant and had lunch in my room. Later, it brightened up and, despite it still being rather hazy, I took a taxi to the Funicular de Montserat, La Santuario which overlooks the centre of Bogotá where I am staying. The height is a little over 3000m above sea level!



I love this photo!


The two following photos are out of sequence. This is outside the Boltero Museum which I visited earlier. I bought one of the necklaces and, of course, I asked for a photo! They look rather serious in the photo but I can promise, they were smiling a lot!



This is Caraterra 7, most of which is pedestrianised.



By the way, I am in good health after feeling less than wonderful during January. I get a bit lonely at times because I am on my own for much of the time, but I am seeing so many wonderful and interesting places.
Change of subject....One thing that has been upsetting me a lot is the sanctimonious campaign which The Times in the UK is running against charities, initially Oxfam but no organisation seems to be snow-white, so it is open-season. Maybe you feel that it is justified but having seen much poverty in the past few months, I am distraught at the additional suffering which will inevitably result from this campaign. Each day, the newspaper trumpets yet further scandals, it is having a field-day. And who is suffering?


I wrote this in the comments section of The Times online a week ago. If you disagree with me, then please leave your own comment at the end of this post. I respect all opinions even if I don't agree with them!

The headline was, Oxfam sex scandal: no more money for charity, say ministers

I am deeply saddened by this campaign by The Times against a great and noble organisation dedicated to helping people in need around the world. I am sure that the vulnerable women of Bangladesh and all the other parts of the world which depend on support from Oxfam will be totally bemused when the aid they receive dries up. Worse than bemused, hungry too.  From what I understand, the man at the focus of this campaign was dismissed and a press release issued. For The Times, this was not sufficient. But, if it is about that three-letter word, then let's have a field day, it is a witch-hunt. No one died, Mark Goldring is free to defend the organisation that he runs with whatever language he chooses.  Maybe in a month or two, perhaps The Times could publish pictures of people in poverty suffering on account of this campaign, when the money runs out. Is that a deal? You are hurting the wrong people, vulnerable people. The Times has a tendency to run campaigns to expose our human weaknesses. I hope for a little forgiveness but that seems in short supply. We are all human, we are not perfect, we make mistakes. This campaign in my opinion is totally out of proportion to what actually happened. This is simply my humble opinion as an English guy, living outside the UK. 

And I added this later...

May I add a second post? Many comments here (and in Government) talk as if the money is for Oxfam.... as if for their benefit or enjoyment.  "No more money for Oxfam," cries the headline, like it is an errant child who needs correction. But most of the money is passed on by Oxfam to benefit people in desperate need around the world. It is they who are being punished by this aggressive campaign.  

No comments:

Post a Comment